Jun 26, 2013

PARIS: Photos & Journal


I knew that I would like Paris (who has ever heard of anyone who hated it) but I never expected to love it so much.  I can definitely say: "J'adore Paris!"  I was surprised how beautiful the city was - it looked like a very elegant and refined lady who gracefully survived time, wars and tourists. Walking around Paris I had the feeling that the city was frozen in time and I was there to see the inauguration of the Eiffel Tower in 1889. There are no tall and modern buildings, only very pretty turn-of-the-century architecture everywhere.  And the Parisians were surprisingly mellow and nice - contrary to popular belief.

The high points of my week in Paris are two very opposite things but both filled my heart with so much joy, I almost got teary-eyed.  The first one was to go to Opéra de Paris (Bastille) to listen to the Requiem of Verdi - a very energetic piece.  I don't listen to classical music very often but I like to see an orchestra live because it is a whole other experience.  I love to see the musicians play, the energy and the emotions. I think about the many hours the musicians had to practice to be there, to be the best of the best.  It was champagne to my ears.

The second high point of my trip was a very lavish feast at Le Cinq - the restaurant of the hotel George V. I don't mind spending money on good food and good service. I don't know if it's because I have been working in the Hospitality Industry for 15 years but I love to see the servers taking care of the smallest details. I have had wonderful meals in my life but nothing prepared me for this - a truly one-of-a-kind experience. During the whole meal, I was thinking: "If someone would tell me right now that I am in fact dead and this is heaven, I would believe it!" It is not a figure of speech, I would have truly believed that I was in heaven. Subtle flavors that exploded like fireworks, the most perfect service ever, welcoming and not stuffy - like they genuinely wanted me to have the best time of my life.

Travelling alone was something completely out of my comfort zone but I really enjoyed it.  I would do it again in a heartbeat.  This trip had been planned months in advance but it arrived at the perfect time in my life.  I really needed this time alone after my break-up to figure myself out.  People describe me as very independent - and I am - but somehow I always lose myself in my love relationships.  I stop thinking about "I" and I start thinking about "We".  This time was not as bad as my previous relationship but I could not believe that I had done it again.  It has nothing to do with the person I am with, this is of my own making. Traveling alone to Paris and doing things that I love for a week put me back on the right track. There was also an incredible feeling of pride of doing everything by myself - from driving 1½ hour in traffic to the airport, to keeping myself company at dinners and figuring out the Paris subway system.  I really needed this boost of confidence.  I came back knowing that if I was able to visit Paris on my own, I surely would get over this break-up.



All the following photos were taken by me!

(Left) Les Invalides from the Musée Rodin - (Right) The rose garden of the Musée Rodin
(Left) Le Penseur, one of Rodin's most famous sculpture - (Right) The rose garden of the Musée Rodin
Palais Garnier, Opéra de Paris
The ceiling of the Palais Garnier auditorium
The foyer of the Palais Garnier
A metro sign
The Eiffel Tower and a carousel
View from The Seine river
View from The Seine River
View of the Quartier Latin from The Seine river
Notre-Dame-de-Paris Cathedral
Les Bouquinistes, used-book sellers along the Seine around Notre-Dame-de-Paris
(Left) Me and the Eiffel Tower - (Right) View of the Champs-Elysées from the Arc de Triomphe
The Louvre from the Tuileries
The dome of Galeries Lafayette
The street where I was staying
View from the Arc de Triomphe
Arc de Triomphe
(Left) The Eiffel Tower - (Right) View from the Arc de Triomphe
The Louvre
The Louvre
The Louvre, the Italian Paintings Gallery
"Le Sacre de Napoléon" at the Louvre
Métro sign in front of the Louvre

1 comment:

  1. Très belles photos...It makes me dream a little !
    Can't wait to go with you this time.

    ReplyDelete

Meet The Author